Friday, March 25, 2011

What a pain in the asparagus...

I've given up trying to blog strictly in alphabetical order. Things are not in season in alphabetical order. But I'm going to do my best.

Right now I'm on asparagus, which I love. I've only ever made the green kind so it was my intention to try my hand at the white variety.

According to VFAZ this variation is not to be dealt with clumsily. It requires precision and a delicate hand. She should have mentioned, lots of patience.

Trimming white asparagus is a bit of a pain. I had to cut a good chunk of mine off because it wasn't too fresh. Then you have to peel the entire stalk, and then peel the middle and ends more so that the stalk is the same thickness from top to bottom.

It was monotonous work. But when it was all over, I just popped them in some water with butter and lemon. I guess in an ideal world you would make enough of these guys to stand them upright in a pot that was deep enough to cover the stalks but not too wide so they stayed straight up. I don't own such a pot so they went in sideways.

The cooking time varies form 8-25 minutes. But the basic idea is, they will be cooked through and translucent. Well, after quite a while (I had time to make two types of homemade mayonnaise) I deemed them finished.

Dry on a towel, serve with lemon and mayo.


Looks pretty. Took about an hour to prep and 3 minutes to eat.

The flavor of the white asparagus is really nice. But I don't really see what all the to-do is about. Other than presentation.

It's a big step up from my childhood of pulling cold asparagus straight from the can and dunking them into a bowl of Hellman's....

No comments:

Post a Comment