Saturday, January 8, 2011

Amaranth 2: the delicious sequel

Ok so that soup was awesome. I had the leftovers the next day and, like most soups and stews, giving it a day to let the flavors all meld together really improved the taste. Plus it was perfect on a chilly night.

Tonight I used the rest of the amaranth to make Amaranth with Wheat, Scallions, Garlic and Spices.
Did you guess what goes in it? I thought you might.

This recipe calls for bulgur wheat, which I had never heard of until this recipe called for it. Yay for getting out of my comfort zone!

I know I'm only one vegetable and two recipes in but I'd like to say I love how easy these recipes are to make...once you track down all the obscure ingredients, that is.



This recipe was super simple, chop up the choppables, mash up the mashables, mix together in a pot. Wait a bit. Ta-da! Dinner.











The only thing I forgot to get was wax paper, which you are supposed to lay onto of the mixture in the pot to make a seal. Thankfully I had a solution to this problem.

The problem that I don't have a solution to is that my lame-o stove doesn't have a low enough heat setting for steaming things like rice or, in this case, bulgur wheat. So I had to take the lid off a few times and scrape the bottom to get off anything that was inevitably sticking to the bottom. I also had to add a little more water at the end as it had evaporated before the food was finished cooking. I feel like this recipe could probably be made in a rice cooker, so that's cool.

The book said that a good accompaniment would be baked tomatoes, so I did that. It also suggested olives, as this is a Moroccan dish, but Ive never been too savvy on that part of Moroccan cuisine.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this dish. The Moroccan flavor profile is definitely there, but not overpowering. It's also really hardy. I only ate a few bites and felt satisfied. (I also ate a huge quesadilla about 3 hours ago though...)


Regardless, I will definitely be making this again. I'm considering making some of the leftovers into cakes and frying them up like falafel, which this is reminiscent of...except that it's delicious. Sorry falafel, but you are my least favorite way to eat a chickpea. No offense.

After I had taken a few bites, I noticed my dinner had a certain resemblance to a cartoon mouse. So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment